We offer alpaca walks around our beautiful farm in East Sussex. Situated in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Spring Farm is superbly located adjacent to the Ashdown Forest, Bluebell Railway, Sheffield Park and the historic village of Fletching. We are based in Sussex but easily reached from Kent, Surrey, Essex, Gatwick and London – only 45 minutes by train to Haywards Heath. Alpaca walking has never been so accessible!
Alpacas are delightful and friendly animals and ours all know their names. Everybody who comes to our farm for an alpaca trek comments on how relaxing our alpacas are to be around. With their inquisitive nature, they are great fun to take for a walk and are certain to put a smile on your face!
After a short introduction to us and our farm, we will introduce you to our alpaca family. We have about 106 alpacas (and 6 llamas) here at Spring Farm – at last count! We will then halter up our walking alpaca team and set off for a casual walk around our 110 acre farm. During the walk, we will tell you a little about alpacas, their history, their stunning fleece and how we go about farming here at Spring Farm. Spring Farm has been managed within Countryside Stewardship/Higher Level Stewardship for the last 15 years and we will tell you about farming in a wildlife friendly way and hopefully spot some of the wildlife we have encouraged to thrive here – a UK alpaca and wildlife safari!
We expect the walking element to last about 50 minutes, and it is across undulating fields all within our boundaries – so you should not encounter any unexpected surprises. The distance we cover is about a mile. Allowing for the brief introduction and paying your walking alpaca (or llama) in carrots (which are provided ready chopped!) you should allow about two hours for the entire experience.
If you would like to book a walk please go to our booking page
- All walks must be pre-booked and are available every day of the week and all year round.
- Children must be over 12 years old to walk an alpaca on their own, although children aged 8 to 12 may accompany the walk providing that each child is accompanied by an adult.
- It is important at the time of booking that we know if any of those walking have any health limitations or health issues that we should be aware of. Where possible, we are very happy to modify the walk or distance in a way that accommodates any health concerns.
- Walking an alpaca allows you to walk YOUR VERY OWN ALPACA for the entirety of the walk.
- Accompanying a walker entitles you to walk alongside an alpaca walker but not to walk an alpaca yourself.
- We sometimes take a llama on the walk as well as the alpacas. If you would rather not walk a llama please let us know.
- Alpacas are herd animals so a minimum of 2 alpacas must be booked for each walk. We normally cater for up to 10 walking alpacas on any given walk.
- It is possible to accommodate single walkers but only in conjunction with another group so as to always have a minimum of 2 alpacas walking.
- Walks start from the farm yard at about midday. We ask that you arrive ten minutes beforehand so we can be good to go at midday. If you arrive earlier, we would suggest visiting Trading Boundaries at the end of our road for coffee/tea as we are working right up to 11:50am most days!
- We are not an “open farm” and can only offer alpaca walks by prior arrangement.
- If you would like us to recommend local places to meet for a coffee/drinks or lunch beforehand/afterwards – please see Local eateries and attractions
- Our farm is on clay so sensible footwear is a must (wellies in the Winter, walking boots or trainers in summer) and we strongly recommend long trousers..
- Clothing should be appropriate for the conditions but please avoid really bright colours or anything that might flap.
- We have stringent bio-security so we will ask you to dip your footwear on arrival.
- Our alpacas and llamas are not used to dogs so we have a strict no dog policy on the farm or walk.
- Alpacas are like us and won’t be happy to walk in bad weather. If we (or you) defer due to bad weather or unforeseen circumstances, we are happy to rebook at a mutually agreeable time thereafter.
- We can cater for educational visits, hen parties or special events – please contact us for details.
- Vouchers are available (and gift cards) – please contact us for details.
- We offer a fabulous one bedroom holiday let if you wanted to extend your stay or just chill out/ help out on a working alpaca farm – just bear in mind its for a minimum of a week!
If you need to contact us directly or have any queries please get in touch.
Contacts: Vicki or Chris Agar
Telephone: 01825 790885 or 07776 181811/12
For more information about Spring Farm, the holiday let and alpacas in general, please see: www.springfarmalpacas.co.uk